Global Volunteer Day
On the first Saturday of October every year, Pramerica employees and their families and friends participate in community service projects, in parallel with thousands of other staff from our parent company throughout the world.
On Global Volunteer Day last October, almost 300 Pramerica Systems employees and their families made a difference by participating in the following activities:
- A car wash at the Radisson hotel in aid of the Bubblegum Club, which arranges special activities for terminally ill children.
- A money collection outside a Dunnes and a Supervalu food store and at Finn Harps V Liverpool Legends at Ballybofey Grounds in aid of Cairde Le Cheile Friends Together, a group dedicated to providing sporting, social and cultural facilities for people with disabilities.
- A cake sale at the Letterkenny car boot sale in aid of the Marie Keating Foundation, a breast cancer awareness organization.
- Painting the Ramelton Town Hall.
- Painting the Centre for Youth Information in Letterkenny.
- A general clean-up at the St Vincent de Paul centre in Rathmullan.
- A general clean-up and painting at Cranford Community Centre.
- A tidy-up of the warehouse facility for HOPE International, which sends items to Romania to help in the help alleviate poverty there.
- A sponsored walk at Glenveagh National Park in aid of the Donegal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- A food mart and car boot sale at the Letterkenny Indian Community Centre to support the Irish Red Cross's aid to flood victims in Bihar - India.
- A Special Olympics Fund Day event in Letterkenny for adults and children.
- A roadside spring clean-up of the entries to Letterkenny.
Pramerica Systems Ireland Limited presented grants totalling €6,764 to nine local charitable organisations in recognition of the volunteer service provided by Pramerica associates during the company’s Global Volunteer Day last fall.
Pictured from back left: - Paul Walker (Pramerica), Frankie McGreevy (Donegal Youth Service), Conall Drislane (St Vincent De Paul, Rathmullen) Pat Traynor & Fergus Cleary (Hope International), Valerie McGrath (Irish Red Cross), Niky Cannon & Margaret Crerand (NW Special Olympics)
Community Volunteer Council
Pramerica staff also volunteer for community service projects as part of the parent company's Community Volunteer Council (CVC). The CVC's initiative is to promote, encourage and coordinate local volunteerism. The following is an example of some of the projects supported by the CVC:
- PRU Youth Day is an opportunity for the families of Pramerica employees to get involved in voluntary work in the community. A recent carwash event raised funds for Donegal Hospice.
- Pramerica volunteers are assisting with the organisation of the Special Olympics regional summer games.
- The Four Peaks Challenge was a successful fund raising hiking expedition in aid of Focus Ireland
- The Backpack Challenge was arranged for Children in Need in Donegal, a number of backpacks where prepared for children.
In March 2009 Pramerica employees raised €1,100 for the Irish Cancer Society. A number of fund raising event where arranged on the day including Tea served by the management team, cake sale and Karaoke.
Each year Pramerica takes part in an initiative called "Junior Achievement" which brings business volunteers into the classrooms of primary and post-primary schools to teach enterprise skills to the students.
Pramerica employees have also undertaken other fundraising and non-profit activities to address and support needs within the local community.